The Lammas Hireling by Ian Duhig

(published by PICADOR, ISBN9780330492386)




     Ian Duhig is a poet who tutored me in 2010 and 2012 ARVON writing workshops. Mostly, his books require much knowledge of European history and literature, in particular, The Speed of Dark. However, I can enjoy reading the book The Lammas Hireling. The theme range of the collection is wide: subject matters on his Irish heritage, Christianity, Chinese sonnets, etc.
     Two poems ‘Meet The Duhigs’ and ‘The Fiddle Teacher’ are familiar to me. Reading the former, I am intrigued by wide spread of his family name in the world, e.g., geographically, Brisbane. In the historical viewpoint, the meaning might be beyond my imagination. The latter is a bit occult in the second quatrain. Here, I hear Vincent Price’s laughing in Michael Jackson’s Thriller. The poem could be good to be read as spoken words for me.